A Comparative Approach Directed to The Assessment and Evaluation Studies in The Geography Course Books Taught at The Secondary Education in Turkey
pp. 9-30 | MID: ijpe.2005.006
Manuscript Views: 63 | Manuscript Download: 0
This study analyses the assessment and evaluation studies comparatively in the geography course books of the secondary education taught in Turkey. In this sense, after the assesment and evaluation studies which are taken place in the geography course books have been dealt both in respect of quantity and quality, the questions are classified according to the mental fieldphases. In addition to this, after the subject matters to be taken into consideration in the written and verbal assessment and evaluation studies that the gegraphy teachers have realized in the classroom have been stated, the suggestions concerning the assessment and evaluation sufficiencies that should be included in the geography course books have been put in order.
Keywords: Secondary Education, Geography Course, Target Behaviours, Measurement and Evaluation.
- Atalay, İ. (2001). Lise coğrafya. İstanbul: İnkılap Kitabevi Yayın San. ve Tic. A.Ş. Yay.
- Atalay, İ. (2001). Türkiye ’nin beşeri ve ekonomik coğrafyası. İstanbul: İnkılap Kitabevi Yayın San. ve Tic. A.Ş. Yay.
- Aydın, C. (2001). Türkiye coğrafyası-fiziki (Lise). Ankara: Doğan Yayıncılık.
- Bloom, B. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives, handbook I: Cognitive domain. New York.
- Blomm, B. S., Hastings, J. T.,& Madaus, G. F. (1971). Handbook on formative and
- summative evaluation of student learning. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Bloom, B. (1979). İnsan nitellikleri ve öğrenme. (Çeviren: D. Ali Özçelik): Ankara: Milli Eğitim Yayınevi.
- Çelik, H., Mercan, A., Ünel, K., & Yürük, Y. (2001). Ülkeler coğrafyası. İstanbul: MEB Yay.
- Demirel, Ö. (2002). Türkçe öğretimi. Ankara: PegemA Yayıncılık.
- Duru, A., Aksoy, O., & Olgun, S. S. (2003). Türkiye coğrafyası (Lise) (Fiziki). İstanbul: MEB Yay.
- Erdoğan, E., & Aydın, D. (2003). Türkiye ’nin beşeri ve ekonomik coğrafyası. İstanbul: Doğan Yayıncılık.
- Erinç, S. (2003). Lise coğrafya. İstanbul: Altın Kitapları Yay.
- George, W. M. (1998). Social studies and the elemantary school child. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Grahm, A. (1986). Elementary social studies texts: An Authr-Editor’s point of view. Social Education Policy Center, Ed 232 941(50-55)
- Gözenç, S., & Aydın, D. (2003). Ülkeler coğrafyası. Ankara: Doğan Yayıncılık.
- İşman, A., & Eskicumalı, A. (1999). Eğitimde planlama ve değerlendirme. Adapazarı: Değişim Yayınları.
- Katz, E. (1984). Federalism in secondary school American history and government textbooks. In S. L. Schecter (Ed.), Teaching about American federal democracy. Philadelphia: Center for the Study of Federalism at tample University, ED 248 161
- Kent, A., et al., (1996). Geograhy ın Education. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Kılıç, A., & Seven, S. (2002). Konu alanı ders kitabı incelemesi. Ankara: PegemA Yayıncılık.
- Korkmaz, A., (2001). İlköğretim ders kitaplarında ölçme ve değerlendirme. In L. Küçükahmet (Ed.), Konu alanı ders kitabı inceleme kılavuzu. Ankara: Nobel Yayım Dağıtım.
- Kutlu, Ö. (1999). İlköğretim okullarındaki Türkçe ders kitaplarındaki okuma parçalarına dayalı olarak hazırlanmış sorular üzerine bir inceleme. Eğitim ve Bilim, 22(111).
- Küçük, S. (2002). Örgün eğitim ikinci kademe Türkçe öğretiminde ölçme ve değerlendirme çalışmalarında karşılaşılan güçlükler. Milli Eğitim Dergisi, 153-154.
- Küçükahmet, L. (2003). Eğitim programlarında ders kitabının yeri. In L. Küçükahmet (Ed.), Konu alanı ders kitabı inceleme kılavuzu. Ankara: Nobel Yayım Dağıtım.
- Küçükahmet, L. (2004). Öğretimde planlama ve değerlendirme. Ankara: Nobel Yayım Dağıtım. Linn, R. L., & Gronlund, N. E. (1995). Measurement and assesment in teaching (7th ed.). New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Lorber, M. A., & Pierce, W. D. (1990). Objectives, methods and evaluation for secondary teaching. New Jersy: Prentice Hall.
- Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı. (1995). Ders kitapları inceleme yönetmeliği. Tebliğler Dergisi, 2434.
- Petterson et al., (1991). The use of verbo-visual information teaching of geography-views from teachers. Paper presented at the 23rd Annual Conference of the International Visual Literacy Assocation, Washington.
- Price, R. D. (1981). Textbook dilemma in the social studies.The Social Studies, 57(21-23).
- Poyrazoğlu, O. N. (1993). Türkçe öğretiminde karşılaşılan güçlükler ve çözüm önerileri. İlköğretim Okullarında Türkçe Öğretimi ve Sorunları Semp. Ankara. TED Yay.
- Savage, T. V., & Amstrong. D. G. (1999). Effective teaching in elementary social studies (4th Edition). New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Seven, S.(2001). İlköğretim sosyal bilgiler ders kitapları hakkında öğretmen ve öğrenci görüşleri. Manisa: Celal Bayar Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü (Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi).
- Shannon, P. (1982). Some subjective reasons for teachers reliance on commerical reading materials. Reading Teacher, 36, 884-889.
- Şahin, C. (1990). Ortaokullar için milli coğrafya adlı kitap hakkında düşünceler. Türk Kültürü Dergisi Sayı, 324.
- Şahin, C., ve Diğerleri (2001). Konu alanı ders kitabı inceleme kılavuzu. Ankara: Nobel Yayın Dağıtım.
- Şahin, C., (2002). Türkiye coğrafyası (Lise “Fiziki”). İstanbul: Ders Kitapları Anonim Şirketi. Tan, Ş., Kayabaşı, Y., & Erdoğan, A.(2003). Öğretimi planlama ve değerlendirme. Ankara: Anı Yayıncılık.
- Thomas, P. R., & Jennifer T. N. (2000). Classroom-ready activities for teaching history and geography in grades 7-12. London: Allyn and Bacon.
- Thorndike, R. M. et al. (1991). Measurement and evaluation in psychology and education. Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Oosterhof, A. (1994). Classroom applications of educational measurement. New York: Merill Publishing Company.
- Özgen, B. (1987). Türkiye’de ders kitapları sorunu ve çözüm yolları. Eğitim ve Bilim, Ocak(49).
- Özçelik, D. A. (1982). Test hazırlama kılavuzu. Ankara: ÖSYM Yay.
- Yiğitarslan (Gözkaya), D. (1995). Öğretmen ve öğrenci gözüyle ders geçme ve kredi
- sistemine göre tarih 1 ders kitabının değerlendirilmesi. Ankara: Gazi Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü (Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi).
- 1 Ölçütler konusunda: Yel, S.( 2001). Ders Kitabı İncelemesi (Örnek Bir Çalışma). (Editör: Prof. Dr. Leyla Küçükahmet). Konu Alanı Ders Kitabı İnceleme Kılavuzu. Ankara: Nobel Yayım Dağıtım, s.173’ten yararlanılmıştır.
Improving Attendance and Punctuality Of FE Basic Skill Students Through an Innovative Scheme
Gordon O. Ade-Ojo
pp. 31-48 | MID: ijpe.2005.007
Manuscript Views: 140 | Manuscript Download: 0
This paper reports the findings of a study set up to establish the impact of a particular scheme on the attendance and punctuality performance of a group of Basic Skills learners against the backdrop of various theoretical postulations on managing undesirable behavior.
Data collected on learners' performance was subjected to statistical analysis through the use of the SPSS analytical toolkit in order to establish the T-value, probability value and significance, as well as the confidence level of intervals. Findings from statistical analysis were then subjected to a process of corroboration through a focus group discussion with subjects in the study.
Based on the findings, the study concludes that the scheme has a significant impact on some aspects of the learners' performance and advocates the introduction of novel ways, in the context of mixed approaches towards eradicating undesirable behaviors among young learners.
- Atkinson A. and Chandler, B. (2001) Eds. Student Support: Tutoring, Guidance & Dealing with Disruption, Greenwich University Press, London
- BBC (2005) Educational Catalogue BBC publications.
- Bell, J. (1993) Doingyou research project O.U.P. Buckingham. Philadelphia
- Bradley (1987) Appendix III in Further Education Unit Behavior and Motivation: disruption in further education Longman / FEU, paras 12-19 (Read in Atkinson, A. and Chandler, B. (2001) Eds. Student Support: Tutoring, Guidance & Dealing with Disruption, Greenwich University Press, London
- Clarke, A & Dawson, R. (1999) Evaluation Research Sage Publications, London. Thousand Oaks. New Delhi
- Colom, F.I. (2003) Profile and Needs of the young Puerto Rican. Document number 10 Arecibo Police Area Report prepared for youth affairs Ministry, Puerto Rico.
- Diaz, R (2005) Psychologists in Spanish Society: Analyses of their Public Image (Accessed from the Internet http//www.ucm.es/info/psyap/Hispania/article.htm on 01/03/05
- Ghuman, S. H., Weist, D. M., Schafer, E. M (1999) Demographic and clinical characteristics of emotionally disturbed children being raised by grandparents. American Psychiatric Serv 50: 1496-1498 November 1999. Accessed through the Internet: http//ps.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/50/11/46 on 01/03/05
- Hanko, G. (1985) Special needs in ordinary classrooms Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Illinois State Literacy Office (2003) Student Retention Strategies. Used in SOS Community Volunteer Tutoring Programs Springfield Illinois
- Kingston College (2003) Attendance and punctuality Policy Kingston College London.
- Lewisham educational Access (2004) Improving school attendance: A handbook for schools. Educational Access, Cartford, London
- London Borough of Merton Education, Leisure and Libraries (2004) Effectively managing Attendance and Punctuality and Developing a School Attendance Policy. London Borough of Merton Education Leisure and Libraries.
- McManus, M. (1995) Troublesome behavior in the classroom 2nd edn Routledge (Read in Atkinson, A. and Chandler, B. (2001) Eds. Student Support: Tutoring, Guidance & Dealing with Disruption, Greenwich University Press, London
- McPhillimy, B (1996) Controlling your class John Wiley, pp 53-67 (Read in Atkinson, A. and Chandler, B. (2001) Eds. Student Support: Tutoring, Guidance & Dealing with Disruption, Greenwich University Press, London
- Miller, M. (2004) “What classroom teachers can do about attendance” in The Beginning Teacher newsletter: make students responsible for attendance. The Teacher Institute Nebraska.
- Morgan, D. L. (1997) Focus Groups as Qualitative Research London: Sage
- Nottinghamshire Education welfare Service (2005) Fourteen approaches to improving attendance. Teacher-net -Case Studies
- OFSTED (2003) Inspection feedback to basic skills programme area, Southwark College.
- OFSTED (2003) Inspecting Schools - Handbook for inspecting nursery and primary schools. OFSTED: Coventry
- Powell, R. A. & Single, H. M. (1996) “Focus groups”, International journal of quality in healthcare, 8 (50:499-504
- QCA (2005) Physical Education and School Sport. Education and Skills Council. London Rogers, B. (1997) The language of discipline Northcote House, pp 11-21
Rethinking Progressivism and the Crisis of Liberal Humanism: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on Education for Democratic Citizenship
Emery J. Hyslop-Margison & Theresa Richardson
pp. 49-58 | MID: ijpe.2005.008
Manuscript Views: 74 | Manuscript Download: 0
In this paper, we examine the current siege on progressivism in light of these dual tendencies from both an historical and contemporary perspective. We defend the democratic objectives of progressive education from various contemporary attacks that view student-centered learning as academically inefficacious. With the assistance of Dewey's arguments, w e argue that public schools should produce students prepared to assume their democratic citizenship responsibilities by pursuing the liberal humanistic strand of progressive education. We believe that progressive education approaches that emphasize student centered learning and conjoint decision-making afford an indispensable element to achieve that critically important objective.
- Aikens, W. (1942). The story of the eightyear study. New York: Harper and Brothers.
- Altenbaugh, R. J. (2003) The American people and their education. New Jersey: Merrill, Prentice-Hall.
- Aronowitz, S., & Giroux, H. (1993). Education still under siege. Westport, CT: Bergin & Garvey.
- Brown, S. I. and M. E. Finn, eds., (1988). Readings fromprogressive education. New Jersey: University Press of America.
- Chamberlin, D. (1942). Did they succeed in college? New York: Harper & brothers.
- Chamberlin, D. (1943). Thirty schools tell their story. New York: Harper & brothers.
- Chapman, P. D. (1988). Schools as sorters: Lewis M. Terman, applied psychology and the intelligence testing movement, 1890-1930. New York: New York University.
- Committee on the Function of English in General Education. (1940). Language in general education. New York: D. Appleton-Century.
- Cremin, L. A. (1962). The transformation of the schools. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Dewey, J. (1900). The school and society. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Dewey, J. (1916). Democracy and education. New York: The Free Press.
- Drost, W. H. (1967). David Snedden and education for social efficiency. Madison, WI: The University of Wisconsin Press.
- Egan, K. (2002). Getting it wrong from the beginning: Our progressivist inheritance from Herbert Spencer, John Dewey, and Jean Piaget. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Glassman, M. (2001). Dewey and Vygotsky: Society. Experience and inquiry in educational practice. Educational Researcher, 30 (4), 3-14.
- Hirsch, E. D. (1987). Cultural literacy: What every American needs to know. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Hirsch, E. D. (2001). Romancing the child. EducationMatters. Spring, 34-39.
- Hofstadter, R. (1963). The progressive movement, 1900-1915. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Hyslop-Margison, E. J. (2000). An Assessment of the Historical Arguments in Vocational Education Reform. Journal of Career and Technical Education, 17 (1), 23-30.
- Krug, E. A. (1972). The shaping of the American high school, 1920-1941. Madison: University of Wisconsin.
- Lipka, R. P. (1998). The eight year study revisited: lessons from the past for the present. Columbus, OH: National Middle School Association.
- Meek, L. (1930). Teachers college in the news. Teachers College Record. January, 457-486.
- Pratt, D. (1994). Curriculum planning: A handbookforprofessionals. New York: Harcourt Brace.
- Raubinger, F. M. (1969). The development of secondary education. New York: MacMillan.
- Ravitch, D. (2000). Left back: A century of failed school reforms. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Redefer, F. L. (1951). The eight year study: eight years later. Ed.D.
- Dissertation Columbia University.
- Richardson, T. and Johanningmeier, E.V. (1998). intelligence testing: the legitimation of a meritocratic educational science. International Journal of Educational Research, pp. 699-307.
- Smith, E. and Thayer, V. T. (1942). Appraising and recording student progress. New York: Harper.
- Terman, L. (1919). The intelligence of school children. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Terman, L. (1922). Intelligence tests and school reorganization. Yonkers-on-Hudson: World Book Company.
- Thayer, V. T. (1930). School and the shifting home. Survey. September, 486.
- Thayer, V. T., Zackery, C. B., & Kotinsky, R. (1939). Reorganizing secondary education. New York: Appleton-Century Company.
- Thorndike, E. L. (1949). Selected writings from a connectionist’s psychology. New York: Greenwood Press.
- üniversity of Califomia, Santa Barbara. (2004). Voter Tumout in Presidential Elections. Retrieved August 14, 2004, from http://www.presidency.ucsb. edu/site/data/turnout.php Vars, G. F. (1972). Curriculum in secondary schools and colleges, in Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD). Yearbook: a new look at progressive education. Washington D.C.: ASCD
- Vygotsky, L. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge: Cambridge üniversity Press.
McLaren, P. & Farahmandpur, R. (2005). Teaching against Global Capitalism and the New Imperialism: A Critical Pedagogy. Lanham, Maryland, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
Junrui Chang & Changyong Yang
pp. 59-64 | MID: ijpe.2005.009
Manuscript Views: 96 | Manuscript Download: 1
We have four reasons for agreeing to review this book. First, we have long been interested in Critical Pedagogy, a field in which Peter Mclaren is among the outstanding authors. In 1999, one of the reviewers, Changyong Yang, researched Critical Pedagogy in his dissertation On the Evolvement of the New Sociology of Education. This work is now published in Chinese as The New Sociology of Education: Its Continuous and Rupture History. (Yang, C., 2004) Secondly, as a visiting professor in the Center for East Asia and Pacific Studies in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Yang’s research project is Sociology of Education: A Postmodern Practice and Its Theory in America. So Peter Mclaren and Ramin Farahmandpur’s (2005) book Teaching against Global Capitalism and the New Imperialism falls with our scope of research. Thirdly, Junrui Chang, a young scholar and a doctoral candidate, is now trying to apply the theory and method of Critical Pedagogy to do her research on art curriculum in Chinese rural society. Fourthly, as educational researchers in China, we are very much interested in Peter McLaren and his coauthor Ramin Farahmandpur’s effort on a socialist pedagogy that follows Marxism. We are glad to accept the new book for review.
- Brandt, D. 1991. To Change This House: Popular Education under Sandinistas. Toronto: Between the Lines.
- Hill, D., Mclaren, P., Cole, M., and Rikowski, G., eds. 2002. Marxism against Postmodernism in Educational Theory. Lanham, Marylan: Lexington Books.
- McLaren, P. 1998. Life in Schools: An Introduction to Critical Pedagogy in the Foundations of Education. 3rd ed. New York: Longman.
- Yang, C, 2004. The New Sociology of Education: Its Continuous and Rupture History. Beijing: Social Sciences in China Press.